Forest Springs
News
Holiday Fire Safety
Posted on Nov 21st, 2011

Holiday Fire Safety:

 

With the Holidays just around the corner I would like to remind everyone of a few safety concerns. 

1)      Live holiday decorations: When using live or fresh decorations keep a safe distance from any open flame or heating appliance.  These types of decorations are extremely flammable when they start to dry out. 

2)      Candles: I personally love the smell of a good candle; however let’s not forget how dangerous they can be.  Never leave candles unattended or in an area were they are accessible to children or pets. 

3)    Fireplaces: A well decorated mantel and fireplace at Christmas time is a great tradition as long as clearances are maintained. 

4)      Christmas Trees:   Remember to water trees daily, when pine trees dry out they become very flammable. 

5)      Wrapping Paper:   Dispose of wrapping paper properly, by recycling or placing it into the garbage.  Do not burn wrapping paper in your fireplace or wood burning stove, wrapping paper is very light and will start to vent through the chimney before it has completely burned.  This unburned paper can cause a chimney fire or can exit the chimney and land on your roof and cause a fire to start. 

I wish you all a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.

 

Chief Jeff Riddle

Middletown Fire District