|Return to List|
Storm Safety Tips from MFPD
Posted on Feb 25th, 2013
1. If you use a portable generator when the electricity is out, make sure it is located at least five (5) feet from the house and away from open windows. Never refuel the generator while it is running and always allow the generator to cool for at least ten (10) minutes before refueling.
2. Have a battery operated carbon monoxide detector in the house whenever the generator is in operation.
3. Make sure the extension cords are rated to carry what you are running. Use caution not to pinch or smash extension cords when running these cords through doors or windows.
4. If you are planning to store extra fuel in the garage or in a shed, make sure you have the proper approved containers. I recommend a metal can with a safety lid.
5. If you use candles never leave them unattended, especially if you have pets in the house.
Never approach down power, phone or cable lines, these lines could be energized. Although phone and cable lines do not carry electricity they could be in contact with the power lines and should be treated as if they are energized.
Call 911 to report any down lines and if at all possible make sure your neighbors are aware of the potential danger